Good mood food…ALIAS HEMP SEEDS (IN AN ALMOST CLASSIC CEASAR SALAD!)
In my search for the perfect balance of superfoods, hemp seeds are one of my favorites. I’m convinced, that based on ones specific diet, you don’t just need to eat all the superfoods you can find in order to stay healthy. Many superfoods overlap nutritionally, and too much of all these goods might be a bit too much (and too expensive!!) But for vegans or vegetarians hemp seeds are one of the most valuable nutritions one can take. Being veggie or vegan means you need to get your B-vitamins from other sources than meat or dairy products. (I do eat dairy, but keep it to the very minimum. You can read here why. Organically grown eggs are absolute healthy to eat though.)
2/3 of the hemp seed exists of a very high quality of protein which is very similar to our own body proteins and therefore easily absorbed. This means it actually gives energy, instead of taking it, like chemical- and pre-fab substances (the fabulous E’s): they cost your body a lot of energy trying to convert it into something useful, energy you probably could spend better!
Besides the proteins, hemp seeds contain all 8 essential amino acids which our body can’t produce itself. These amino acids are required to absorb the proteins and are needed as a basis for other substances that have an important role in your metabolism, including the happiness hormone serotonin. Yes, really!! These little fellows are actually great for your mood!
I could go on and on, (which I will, for just a little longer!) but hemp seeds are very well packed, as they contain omega 3-, 6- and omega 9 fatty acids in just the right ratio for absorption of the body. And like other superfoods, hemp seeds are rich in various minerals such as phosphorus, calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, iron, copper, iodine, vitamin E, C and the B vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6. These B vitamins are very important when it comes to your energy.
Use 1 to 2 tablespoons daily, while lightly roasting them, eating them raw, making milk, or by using them in your humus. They are incredibly tasty, and an awesome way to keep a healthy body and a great mood!!
This veggie Ceasar salad, is almost a classic. But than slightly different!
INGREDIENTS: (2 PERSONS)
- Boil 3 eggs, hard
- Cut top and bottom of you lettuce, remove the outer leaves if they look a bit brownish.
- Cut the large leaves in half (in length) and wash them carefully.
- Let them dry.
- Cut the small ends of your asparagus and wash them. Drain.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a flat pan, and add the asparagus.
- Stir fry for about 5 minutes on medium heat, add salt and pepper.
- Add the hemp seeds, and whisk together. Stir fry for another three minutes. Not too long; you want the asparagus to be tender, not soft!
- In the meantime whisk together the mayonnaise, the mustard, the lime to taste, press a garlic clove, add salt and pepper and 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese. Shake well!!
- Add all ingredients together on a plate, divide the eggs, and sprinkle some more parmesan cheese and leftover hemp seeds on top.
- This is the best you can do, for you, today 😉