Maca is typically found in the Andes, at a high location where the land is barren and weather conditions extreme. These harsh conditions could probably be the reason why the maca root is chockfull of nutrients, which makes it a highly valued superfood. Maca root in its various forms, either powdered or cooked has been traditionally consumed by the people of the Andes for many years and in recent times, scientists are recognizing it for its immense nutritional value. The world over, people are waking up to the enormous health benefits it offers, making it a highly prized superfood. Here’s how it can help you:
• Increases stamina and libido
• Helps the endocrine system function properly, thereby eliminating hormonal imbalances
• Lowers anemia and alleviates menstrual discomfort and cramps
• Is also known to be effective in fighting stomach cancer and tuberculosis
• Rich source of fatty acids and sterols
• Has a good concentration of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, sulfur, potassium, and phosphorus as well as vitamins such as B1, C, B2 and E
• Known to help women deal with menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes and mood swings
• Works wonders at reducing the symptoms of altitude sickness
Maca root is usually dried and powdered and can be consumed as part of smoothies, teas, milk or coffee. Make sure you buy raw organic macs powder. Maca chocolate bars and energy bars are also available, but the most amazing thing is that maca works best with cacao so you can combine these two superfoods and create your own super powered superfood.
A word of caution though... As with anything, extremes are not a good idea, so never consume more maca than you should because it can cause adverse reactions in your body. Hyperactivity, insomnia, diarrhea and dehydration are some of the side effects that can occur as a result of over dosage of maca.
Maca is indeed one of the more potent types of superfoods because these can cause changes in the way you live and react as well. It’s always advised to use superfoods cautiously and never in excess because of the side effects that can result.