Maybe not familiar to everyone but quinoa, often referred to as the supergrain (although technically it’s not a grain but a seed), is high in fiber and high-quality protein. This whole grain contains more protein than any other grain and is one of the only grains that provide the nine essential amino acids our bodies can’t produce themselves. Truly a superfood!
Studies have shown that quinoa can alleviate migraine headaches, help diabetes and weight loss (it’s easy to digest), promote cardiovascular health and prevent hardening of the arteries.
Quinoa is also packed with vitamins like potassium, calcium, iron, vitamin E, phosphorus, magnesium, beta-carotene, riboflavin and folic acid.
Because quinoa contains so much protein, it is a very good option for vegans concerning about adequate protein intake. Besides, quinoa is gluten free which makes it a great and delicious option for people who are allergic or intolerant to gluten.
So incorporate the benefits of quinoa with some of the following suggestions:
- The most common way to prepare quinoa is to cook it like rice.
- Cook quinoa, let it cool down and use this in a nice, fresh summer salad.
- Instead of eating bread for lunch, you can buy quinoa crackers.
- Make a nice pasta (salad) with quinoa pasta instead of wheat pasta.
- Start your day out right with a breakfast prepared with quinoa flakes.
Do you have any other suggestions? Please let us know by leaving a comment below!